At WhiteWing Dental, our McAllen dental team fully believes that it is absolutely crucial that we keep up-to-date on the latest technologies available so that we can best serve our patients here in the Rio Grande Valley. When the right tool comes around, we make sure to invest so that we can significantly improve our patients’ oral health.
One of the newest orthotools that we are excited to begin offering services with is the KaVo Orthopantomograph OP 3D, a state-of-the-art CBCT scanner. With this tool, our McAllen family dentists are now able to easily process 3D cone beam dental images in office.
Continue reading to learn more about this amazing tool.
What Is a Cone Beam CT?
Dental cone beam computed tomography allows us to take high definition x-rays of your teeth, jaw bone, nerve pathways and soft tissues in your mouth, all in one short scan. Cone beam images are much more accurate and precise than traditional x-rays or even CT scanners. Additionally, these machines expose patients to much less radiation.
The cone-shaped x-ray beam takes numerous images at basically every angle around the patient’s mouth and then transfers these high-quality images into a designated software where our dentists can have a perfect view of your mouth, teeth and surrounding structures.
The scanning process is very simple and is performed in-house. Patients sit down in a designated exam chair and are prepared by our dental team. The KaVo OP 3D machine will then make a 360-degree rotation to capture images around the necessary areas.
The entire procedure only takes a couple of minutes and – viola – our dentist will have crystal clear images of your teeth so that they can adequately check for and diagnose any oral health issues.
The Benefits of KaVo OP 3D for Patients
One of the major benefits of using CBCT scanners such as the KaVo OP 3D is that dentists are able to get a better idea of what type of treatment is needed for orthodontic issues and other complex oral health issues.
With the KaVo OP 3D dentists can:
- Evaluate multiple options for impacted teeth.
- Provide precise services for dental implant placements.
- Provide bone and tissue evaluation (including sinuses, nasal cavities, nerves and jaw).
- Detect fractures, potential tumors and cyst.
- Diagnose temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) and related disorders.
- And much more…
Cone-Beam CT vs Standard CT scans
Some of the key ways in which CBCT technology is much better than traditional CT scanners include:
- Lower radiation exposure, which leads to having a better and more precise image.
- Patients deal with zero side effects or radiation contamination.
- Multiple scattered images of teeth, tissue and bone structures from multiple angles.
- Completely painless and noninvasive.
- Sharper and faster results that lead to more accurate diagnosis and treatment options.
- Customizable facial scan placements.
The Future of Dental Tech Is at WhiteWing Dental
The trusted McAllen dentists and staff at WhiteWing Dental are dedicated to providing the best in customer care and services. Our goal is to always ensure our patient’s oral health is amazing.
With state-of-the-art dental tools such as the KaVo OP 3D, we are able to give the most accurate diagnoses and reliable treatment options.