During infancy, we grow baby teeth, but that doesn’t last long as they begin to fall out around the age of six. In the years going forward, our adult teeth begin to replace them. Those second and permanent set of teeth that are with us until old age or until the calcium in them begins deteriorating.
While the best measure for protecting your pearly whites is good dental hygiene and frequent dental cleanings, the truth is that some individuals may not have an opportunity to correct the issue before it is too late. When individuals begin to suffer from tooth loss, they may assume that their only choice is dentures – but that’s not their only option.
At WhiteWing Dental, our McAllen dentists believe dental implants are an excellent choice for restoring your smile and helping to protect your overall dental health. Keep reading to learn a little more about dental implants and how they differ from dentures.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. The implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
Who benefits from dental implants?
Most individuals who have multiple missing teeth can benefit from dental implants. These tools are meant to replace missing teeth, not only improving the aesthetic look of your smile but also having a positive effect on your overall quality of life.
While many might assume only older adults may benefit from dental implants, there are many instances in which dental implants could be your best option. Individuals who may benefit from dental implants may include those who:
- Have suffered a serious dental as the result of an accident (i.e. car accident, sports injury, personal injury that results in tooth loss, etc.).
- Have suffered tooth loss as the result of a genetic condition.
- Have suffered tooth loosening due to an illness such as cancer.
- Have suffered tooth loss related to poor oral hygiene.
What are the major differences between dentures and dental implants?
Dental Implants: Dentures:
How can dental implants help me?
- Smile big once again: Dental implants fuse with your bone to act as a permanent solution and to appear as real as possible.
- They are convenient: Dental implants need to be cleaned and treated just like your actual teeth, but that’s it. Proper oral hygiene can keep them strong for a lifetime. No need to remove them at night or to use any additional products to keep them clean.
- Protect your oral health: Dental implants allow you to keep all your real teeth which can prove to be beneficial to your overall oral health.
- Love your smile again: You’ll love the complete, bright, and beautiful smile dental implants provide.
- No problems speaking: Because dental implants fuse with your jawbone, they do not move around in your mouth. Dentures, on the other hand, can slip around in your mouth and cause you to slur or mumble your words.
- As natural feeling as your real teeth: Dentures can be uncomfortable, especially when improperly fitted. You don’t have to worry about that with dental implants.
Are dental implants available to anyone?
The majority of the time, yes, anyone healthy enough to undergo a routine dental extraction or oral surgery can be considered for a dental implant. The patients should have healthy gums and enough bone to hold the implant. They also must be committed to good oral hygiene and regular dental visits.