Having a whiter smile is something most people desire, but achieving that at home can be difficult. The good news is, getting professional teeth whitening can be as simple as a 30-minute in-office treatment.
Keep reading to learn about how professional teeth whitening works and all the reasons it might be right for you from the professionals themselves: your family McAllen dentists at WhiteWing Dental.
The Professional Teeth Whitening Process
Before you decide to get your teeth professionally whitened, your dentist will first go over the process and find out if you are a good fit for the procedure. Every dentist may have different methods to check a patient’s candidacy, but the process generally follows the steps below:
- Cleaning: Your dentist will start with a deep cleaning of your teeth to get rid of any built-up plaque or tartar. By using the proper tools in their office, your dentist will have your teeth already looking whiter after this first step.
- Bleaching: When your dentist starts the bleaching process, they will use either a bleaching gel or cream, carefully applying it to your teeth. Once applied, the bleach will sit and be absorbed by your teeth. A UV light or laser will then be used to activate the whitening agent and break down the stain in your teeth.
- Fluoride: The last step of the whitening process is to apply a fluoride treatment to your teeth to protect them from plaque. This will help your teeth stay strong and healthy after the bleaching.
The Benefits of Professional Whitening Treatments
A lot of people who consider getting professional teeth whitening change their minds because they think they can get an effective at-home teeth whitening product for cheaper.
While at-home treatments are usually cheaper, professional teeth whitening may be the right investment for your situation. Below are some of the key benefits of professional teeth whitening:
1. It is Quicker Than At-Home Treatment
By getting your teeth whitened by a dental professional, you are having a stronger peroxide solution used on your teeth that will give you whiter teeth as a result. The UV light and heat also allow for whiter teeth within 30 minutes to an hour. Although you may be paying more, you will receive a quicker and more efficient result than you would with several at-home treatments.
2. It is Safer Than At-Home Treatment
When attempting to whiten your teeth at home, you risk the possibility of applying too much solution or leaving it on for too long. This could result in damage to your teeth or gums. Going to the dentist allows your teeth and gums to be examined to make sure they are healthy enough for a whitening treatment.
A trained professional would also be handling the process and would be able to fix any mistakes that may arise.
3. There is Less Responsibility
At-home treatments come with various instructions and steps that leave a lot of room for error. If you choose to do your teeth whitening treatment at home, you bear all the responsibility if something goes wrong.
Getting your teeth professionally whitening ensures that the proper amount of solution is being applied to the correct area for the right amount of time. Every person’s teeth are different and they may need specific dosages or extra cleaning before the whitening process.
It is always important that you consult your dentist first, before going forward with the whitening process.
What Should You Do To Make Results Last Longer?
In order to decide whether or not to invest in professional teeth whitening for yourself, it’s worth considering the fact that there are things you can do to make that investment last even longer.
The results of a professional teeth whitening treatment can last as long as three years, and following the steps below can help ensure your smile stays bright for as long as possible.
- Stop using tobacco products
- Limit your alcohol intake
- Stay away from foods with heavy pigment including wine, coffee, strawberries, and many others. If you must drink wine or coffee, try using a straw to limit the contact with your teeth
- Avoid foods that could be corrosive to your enamel such as lemons
- Stay on top of brushing and flossing
- Visit your dentist regularly for dental cleanings
Ask Your McAllen Dentists About Professional Teeth Whitening!
At-home whitening treatments can be a lot more appealing because of the cheaper price and ease of doing it at home, but getting your teeth cleaned by a professional is much more effective.
If you desire a whiter smile, be sure to make an appointment with your respectable McAllen dentists at WhiteWing Dental. Our staff will ensure that your smile is always healthy and bright!