Every October, we set aside time to celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month by promoting proper dental health, improving oral health habits, and turning the spotlight to the thousands of dedicated dental hygienists who work hard to clean and take care of our teeth.
Below, you can read about why and how you can celebrate this National Dental Hygiene Month from your McAllen dentist.
Why Do We Celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month?
In October, dentists and patients across the country take time to celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month. This month is celebrated to help raise awareness about the importance of great dental care, while promoting healthy mouths, gums, and teeth.
Dental hygiene is incredibly important, and so are the medical professionals who support it. That’s why we also take National Dental Hygiene Month to acknowledge the more than 150,000 hardworking and dedicated registered dental hygienists in the United States.
How Can You Celebrate Dental Hygiene Month at Home?
The key to keeping up with proper dental hygiene is to start practicing it at home. There are many ways you can improve your oral care, from being vigilant with your brushing and flossing to keeping up with your regular dental visits.
If you want to make sure that you’re practicing excellent dental hygiene but don’t know where to start, ask your dentist for tips.
1. Practice Great Dental Habits
Keeping good dental habits can help prevent the buildup of bacteria. Bacteria can cause or increase your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss. To maintain your dental health and fight bacteria build-up, you should follow three important steps every day:
- Brush— Brushing your teeth twice a day will reduce your chance of developing gum disease and unseemly morning breath that most people try so very hard to avoid.
- Floss— Flossing allows you to clean in areas between your teeth that a toothbrush is not able to and can prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss when done correctly.
- Rinse— Rinsing with a mouthwash after brushing and flossing will help keep your mouth and breath clean throughout the day.
By following these three steps each day, along with using the proper brush, floss, and mouthwash, you will ensure that your teeth stay clean and healthy. Speak with your dentist for recommendations on the best dental hygiene tools to use.
2. Drink Plenty of Water
When it comes to great dental health, water is often overlooked, but the truth is that it offers a great many benefits for your teeth. The next time you’re gulping down a refreshing glass of water, remember all the ways it’s helping to keep your smile bright:
- Cleaning your mouth— Drinking water throughout the day can clean off food residue and acid leftover by certain foods.
- Reducing dry mouth— Sufficient water intake can support saliva production and reduce the chance of developing dry mouth.
- Hydrating your gums— By intaking enough water during the day, you promote saliva production, which keeps your gums hydrated and healthy.
Drinking plenty of water offers benefits for your oral health, as well as your overall physical health. If you find it difficult to stay hydrated throughout the day, speak to your dentist for tips on increasing your water intake.
3. Your Dentist
One of the best ways you can celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month is by visiting your McAllen dentist for your regular dental cleanings. Depending on your unique needs, you should visit the dentist twice a year, if not more frequently.
By keeping up with regular dental visits, you can ensure that your teeth are getting the proper care and cleaning they deserve. Your dentist can also help you prevent or catch a problem early by regularly monitoring your dental health.
Celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month When You Visit Your McAllen Dentists at WhiteWing Dental!
Keeping up with your regular dental care can greatly reduce your risk of cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease. Improving the way you take care of your teeth is crucial to your dental health.
Start this October off right with a visit to your McAllen dentists at WhiteWing Dental. Give your teeth the proper care and cleaning they need!